Article provided by: Poly, Inc.
Whenever it rains, you may think about how the water coming down is going to help the landscape all around you. This water is there to hydrate all of the vegetation and to provide a source of water for animals in the wild. While everyone benefits from stormwater in Birmingham, you also need to think about urban stormwater and the impact that it can have on the environment.
What is Stormwater Runoff?
Many people may not realize it, but stormwater runoff happens to be a major cause of water pollution. This happens because the storm drains are there to carry off water from rainstorms to a nearby lake or stream whenever it rains. The runoff of stormwater does not get cleaned up at a treatment plant before it re-enters the environment, much like you would have with drinking water.
Why is Stormwater Assessment Important?
Due to the nature of stormwater in Birmingham, it is important that you have someone doing a risk assessment to see precisely where changes can be made. Here are some facts that you may want to think about:
- In many areas, roughly a third of the pollution in the water comes from stormwater runoff.
- If you are using weed and feed products on your property, there are roughly 23 different pesticides that can be found within local streams throughout any rainstorm. When this adds up, about 5 of these harmful pesticides exceeds levels deemed safe for all aquatic life.
- With only an inch of rain, there will be roughly 748 gallons of stormwater that comes off of a 1,200 sq. foot. Roof.
- With that same inch of rain, roughly 27,000 gallons of stormwater will run off of a one-acre parking lot.
- Stormwater has a dramatic impact on the fish that are often caught for consumption, which means that many of a day’s catch will be considered unhealthy.
Stormwater assessment has given way to a broad range of improvement projects over the last half-century, and Poly, Inc. has been at the forefront of it. With the help of various studies and working on improvements at various sites, there is hope that stormwater runoff will start to pose less of a threat.
When you contact us at Poly, Inc. about your Birmingham stormwater concerns, we can go over all of the services that we provide for storm water management. Just a sampling of these services includes:
- Site development design
- Retention and detention pond design
- Culvert and closed pipe design
- Storm water basin evaluation and studies
- Regulatory modeling for FEMA, and much more
When it comes to stormwater in Birmingham, we have you covered with any of the questions you have or the services that you are interested in. We work hard to ensure that property owners have the assistance that they need to assess the conditions at their existing sites and then formulate a plan of action. We have engineers on our team that look for the most cost-effective treatments that can be used to burden stormwater fees as well as the impact on the environment. Contact Poly, Inc. today at 334-793-4700 or toll free at 888-793-4700. Stormwater Birmingham