A responsible take on an old favorite. The origins of the traditional Moscow Mule go back to the 40’s and while it’s a great drink, who keeps a regular stash of real ginger beer on hand? Also the calories in a ginger beer caught our eye as well. Depending on the brand it ranges from 200-350 calories per bottle. You have to really want one of these to go to all the trouble to find real ginger beer and tolerate the calories, especially if you are having a couple of them.
On the other hand, if you’re still planning to have a drink, you can live with a little sweetness, can’t you?! Our approach with this cocktail recipe was to provide a tasty drink while still aligning with our ethos: natural ingredients reign supreme! So we’ve taken some techniques to maximize the flavor of the lime & ginger components of this drink, without the calories & added sugar that traditional mixers like ginger beer or sour mix bring to the table. We give to you, the Sensible Mule.
Sensible Mule Recipe
- 1-inch nub of Ginger (optional)
- ½ lime (should yield about 1.5 tablespoons of juice) + wedge for garnish
- 1.5 oz Vodka of your choice (alternatively: Tequila for a Mexican Mule, Bourbon for a Kentucky Mule. We like tequila!)
- 3 1-second squirts of H2WOW Ginger Lime (1.5 teaspoons/0.25 oz)
- ½ teaspoon agave syrup
- 3 oz. sparkling water of your choice
- Double strainer
- Straw (optional)
- If using, peel nub of ginger with a spoon, discarding the exterior skin. Using the same spoon, smash open the nub to release the flavor. Put it into the shaker.
- Squeeze your lime juice using your hand or juicer, and add to the shaker. Add the juiced lime into the shaker as well.
- Pour your vodka, H2WOW & agave into the shaker.
- Add 3-4 cubes of ice to the shaker, close, and shake vigorously until the shaker is quite cold.
- Fill a copper mug or old-fashioned glass with ice.
- Double strain your shaker into the glass to catch any sediment from the lime & ginger.
- Top with soda water, give it a quick stir, garnish, and enjoy!